Alright, many of you heard of the fiasco that was the Homestuck photoshoot at Megacon 2012. Well to keep that miscommunication from happening again, I contacted Megacon early this year and here’s the deal to get your attention:
VIRTUALLY NO LARGE PHOTOSHOOTS WILL BE ABLE TO BE HELD INDOORS.
Before I say anything else, just know that the woman I talked to was very nice and accommodating, and just remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. That being said, here’s the bullet points of what is going on for large photoshoots:
- Megacon doesn’t want people who aren’t paying for a dealers/exhibitionist spot making money off their attendees. They did not actually know that fandom photoshoots are free before I told them. Expect to be asked about that.
- Megacon staff and Orange County Convention Center ARE TWO DIFFERENT GROUPS. What Megacon may shrug and say whatever at, OCCC may make you stop. This also goes the other way.
- It’s the staff of the Orange County Convention Center that will get on you about fire codes and break up your photoshoot, and Megacon can’t do anything about that.
- HALL C IS OFF LIMITS.
- To explain the above, Hall C has been a place where photoshoots would happen for years. BUT MEGACON HAS NOT RENTED THAT SPACE. OTHER CONVENTIONS HAVE. If you are from Megacon and in that space you can be asked to leave. That being said, no large photoshoots can happen there.
- Basically anywhere indoors is going to give you problems and you’ll be broken up.
THAT BEING SAID, THERE IS A SPOT THAT IS OKAY.
Past Megacon attendees will know what i’m talking about. Outside of Hall C there is a large grassy area in the middle of a driveway. It’s large, and can accommodate a lot of people.
Enjoy my shitty graphic.
Right now I have a very nice woman from Megacon finding out if OCCC security will give us any trouble there. Even though she won’t get back to me for a few days, I doubt that there will be any trouble.
SO IF YOU ARE RUNNING ANY LARGE FANDOM EVENT, BE AWARE OF THESE THINGS. Smaller ones (<100) I don’t think you’ll have too much of a problem, but yeah.
AND FOR REFERENCE, THE HOMESTUCK PHOTOSHOOTS ARE TIMED AS FOLLOWS:
- Friday at 3:14
- Saturday at 3:14
- Sunday at 12:00
Good luck everyone!